Bronx Theft Defense Lawyer
Get Defense For Theft Charges in New York
Being arrested for or charged with a criminal offense can cause a great deal of emotional and financial hardship. Depending on the specifics of the crime you have been charged with, you could face years in prison, hefty fines, and other penalties. One serious and long-lasting repercussion of a criminal conviction is the criminal record that will follow you. You could be denied employment, housing, and other benefits due to a criminal record showing up in a background check.
If you have been arrested for a theft crime, or if a loved one is currently facing theft crime charges, do not wait another moment to get the legal counsel you need. The Law Offices of Elliot S. Kay is devoted to protecting the rights of the criminally accused. Our Bronx theft charges attorney can help you work to secure the results you need so you can move forward with your life.
Can Theft Charges be Dropped in New York?
In the state of New York, if you are facing a first-time shoplifting crime you may be able to qualify for a diversion program. Diversion program requirements can include performing community service and paying restitution. If the requirements are met, the theft charges may be dropped.
Why clients are choosing us:
- Solid record of results, including numerous NOT GUILTY victories by verdict
- Free initial case consultations for prospective clients
- Devoted advocacy from an aggressive criminal defense lawyer
- Extensive experience in various levels of court
You need experience, knowledge, and power on your side. Call our Bronx theft charges lawyer at (646) 759-9233 or contact us online today to request a free consultation!
Types of Theft Crimes in New York
There are many various types of theft crimes. A criminal defense lawyer from our team can provide you with powerful representation for any of the following offenses:
- Robbery: The crime of taking items of value from a person or their immediate presence through force or threats of violence is the crime of robbery. You could face serious penalties for a conviction of this crime, and you need representation on your side that can help you avoid a severe sentence.
- Burglary: The crime of burglary involves breaking and entering into a structure for the purpose of committing a felony. The penalties for a conviction of burglary will depend on other circumstances in your charge; however, you could face up to 25 years in prison for the most severe burglary situations.
- Petit Larceny (Theft): If you are charged with stealing items valued at less than $1,000, you will face charges of petit larceny and up to a year in jail. These crimes are generally charged as misdemeanors and are not treated as severely as grand larceny.
- Grand Larceny: Charges of grand larceny involve stealing items valued at more than $1,000 and could incur penalties of up to 12 years in prison upon conviction. There are some exceptions; theft of certain items such as firearms that are valued at less than $1,000 can still result in grand larceny charges.
What is Felony Theft in New York?
In the state of New York, if you steal services or property that are valued at more than $1,000 you can be charged with grand larceny which is a class E felony. Under N.Y. Penal Law § 155.30, you can also face grand larceny charges if the property is a debit/credit card, a firearm or motor vehicle.
Charged with Theft in the Bronx?
At The Law Offices of Elliot S. Kay, we have years of experience representing the criminally accused residents of Bronx, New York, and we can put this experience to work for you. We have invaluable knowledge and courtroom practice that can be greatly beneficial to your case. Contact the Bronx theft charges lawyer at our offices today to discuss your situation, rights, and legal options.
Arrested for a theft crime? Reach our Bronx theft charges attorney directly at (646) 759-9233.